As most quilt plans do, this one started with a spreadsheet.
I knew had a jelly roll (heyo!) of maroon and orange. I knew I didn’t want to recreate the wheel and wanted to leave them in their pre-cut state. That left me a couple of options. I went with a brick like effect.
So, I unrolled the jelly goodness and got to counting. I had just enough of each color to alternate colors and make the size lap quilt I was aiming for. Perfect! I got to piecing.
Then I put the columns together. It went pretty by quickly after that.
Did I mention that the mister even helped piece a section? He totally did! This is the Pieced by Dan section*…
I had picked up a decent sized creamy white remnant when I picked up my other supplies. I laid the quilt sandwich out on my bed. This is the only large space that was not occupied by a certain furry puppy. I used Dream Green. It’s made of recycled bottles, that’s awesome. Yay saving the Earth!
After I unkinked my back (oy!) I got to the actual quilting part. I still had my old machine at the time and wasn’t sure how much it was going to let me do with all that thickness so I figured basic was best. I liked the idea of through the rectangles so it appeared to be patchwork. Not too shabby, for my first machine quilting (the first quilt I made got hand-tied). You can’t really tell on the front, but I alternated the lines with maroon and orange. It looks pretty cool on the creamy back.
And of course Doppler had to test it out. He approved.
*This was a gift for his mom, that’s why he helped. He’s not suddenly becoming Mister Martha.